220g Self Raising Flour
220g Sliced Peeled Apple
1 Heaped teaspoon Mixed Spice
Pinch of Salt
275g Sugar (The quantity of sugar can be reduced to about 170g if using "Eating Apples")
7 - 8 inch Cake tin or a Loaf tin.
1. Pre-Heat the oven to 180 C, grease and line tin with baking parchment.
2. Cream the margarine with the sugar, in the mixing bowl.
3. Sift the flour, salt and mixed spice into the bowl, then add the egg.
4. Mix all the ingredients until completely combined.
5. Add the sliced apple, and stir gently into the mixture. (Don't worry if the mixture seems a little dry, as the moisture from the apples will take care of that.)
6. Place the mixture in the tin and bake for about 1 and 1/4 hours.
7. When the top gets brown, cover with a piece of greaseproof paper to prevent burning.
8. Test cake with a skewer to see if it is done. The skewer should come out clear and dry .
9. Remove cake from oven and leave to cool slightly before turning out onto a wire rack to cool.
Eat hot or cold, with or without butter, or with custard.